RhoYoshi

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Red boots and true love

I was writing a note to Josh's grandparent's yesterday, just saying hi, and I thought about love. You know that verse that says, "and my your love abound more and more with knowledge and depth of insight"? It struck me for the first time yesterday that of course having more knowledge of the person you are loving would help your love abound because if love is doing what is best for the person then knowing them better would allow you to be better at doing what's best.

I've been listening to the Bible on cd and I'm to Leviticus. It strikes me more and more as I listen that I really have very little clue about what most of the Bible means. It just doesn't seem to make sense to me when I hear it in big chunks. So I started attending a Sunday school class after church on Romans. I get it better when it's explained to me little by little.

I am officially dreading going back to school tomorrow. Even though I bought cool red boots today. Money really can't buy happiness, or courage for that matter. I don't know what's got my goat so much about going back to school. It really oughtn't be that bad. I like the people there. Maybe it's still just a left over gut-reaction from when I was attending school as a student. That horrible after-the-holiday voice screaming to let me just have one more day to sleep in! I wish.

Ah well, maybe going back will help me be more loving and productive. And hopefully help me to make the time fly until Josh's next shift change. Good news though? In the next two months I have 3 Mondays off. That's 3 whole days that I'll get to see Josh.

That's something that I was thinking of in Church this morning. How now since Josh and I only ever get a few hours together here and there, how precious our time together is and how petty some of the stuff we fought over was. When we see each other now it's just a delight, and I spend a lot of time thinking about how great it will be to see him and then appreciating it afterwards. (Not that we aren't both still really sinful, but it's easier to have perspective on it). Maybe I've gone all sappy, but I was thinking that maybe that's part of why God, even though he's present all the time, doesn't allow himself to be felt by us all the time. Because then we miss him, look for him, anticipate his presence, and treasure him that much more when he does show up. If that is true, I don't think it reflects badly on God for not always making himself felt, but it reflects poorly on us for not always appreciating his goodness when he makes himself known. Absence doesn't always make the heart grow fonder, but when it's real love it does. Absence makes the heart grow wiser, and appreciate more what the heart really has instead of taking it for granted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker