RhoYoshi

Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Social Necessity of Certification

I agree with the movie Good Will Hunting where it talks about that you don't need to go to school to learn things. How it's silly that people can learn amazing things for free at a local library, but instead pay thousands to go to school to learn the same things. I think that the drive to get a certificate saying that you know things is only a social necessity. We go to school because
1. we are lazy and tend to not push ourselves to learn things on our own
2. we have the often wrong idea that a piece of paper saying someone knows something insures that they (a) know it and (b) will use it properly for your advantage
3. we like to look smart.

I find that when I read at home I read scifi/fantasy, basically mind candy. When I read at Starbucks, basketball games, or Borders ... you know, somewhere public, I tend to read smart sounding books. In fact, I go to Borders and Starbucks sometimes because I know that I will read something worthwhile there. Just like when I exercise in public I do a much better job of it than when I exercise in private (if I even bother exercising in private, more often I sleep in). I want complete strangers to think well of me and approve of my smart and healthy behaviors. My social drive actually does a lot for me. If it weren't for others I would be a dumb, fat, slob.

In a gym I like the idea that I fit in with all the healthy looking individuals around me. I strive to be healthy with them. In a school I like the idea that I fit in with all the smart people around me. I strive to fit in. In my Christian workplace I like that I'm surrounded by people who are trying to be good God-lovers. I strive to love God better. Maybe others, like me, lack the personal motivation, but have a basic desire to better ourselves, and so we put ourselves in situations where we feel forced to do what is healthy for us.

Lots of people say that we are dumb in groups "stupidity by committee" and all that, but I suggest that it is often groups that motivate us to be better as well. It all depends on the group that you choose.

"He who walks with the wise grows wise, but the companions of fools suffers harm."

Food for thought. Go to Starbucks and think about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker