RhoYoshi

Saturday, February 10, 2007

what i've done today so far

I feel great. Today I rode my bike from Montebello, down through Brea, all the way to Diamond Bar and back. 43 miles total. The middle 21 miles I rode with my friend Katie (go Katie go!) but the beginning and ending 11 miles I rode all on my lonesome, and I must confess that I loved it! It really gave me a feeling of power and ability. I didn’t have my dad or husband along and it was really cool to prove to myself that I could do it by myself. I had stuff to fix a flat (which thank the Lord I never had to use) and I totally rode the streets … just me and the cars flying by my elbow.

It was always nice to have the company, but always having one of the guys there with me made me wonder if I could do it on my own. I never had to change one of my own flats or pick the best line in the road because I had them to do it for me. I love having the confidence knowing that I can do it on my own. Today the sport of cycling has become mine, and not just something that I do. Knowing that I can do it on my own really adds an enjoyment factor to it. I can enjoy it by myself or with people. I don’t have to wait for others to have fun riding. I can go on my own.

I also discovered that I don’t like wearing sunglasses when I ride my bike. I’ve never really like wearing them. They always pinch between my ears and my helmet. But I’ve always been told (and supposed) that without them I would get a load of dust in my eyes and have really dirty irritating contacts. But because I rode on my own today, and no one was there to chide me and tell me that I should wear sunglasses, I didn’t. And guess what? I didn’t have one problem with getting dust in my eye. I didn’t have to stop and wash my contacts one single time, and there were some dusty places on that Brea Canyon Road! Yes I got wind in my eyes, but not worse than when I do wear sunglasses. And I see a LOT better and can steer out of cracks more efficiently (and avoid the cracks to begin with) because I could see.

I was also reminded today of what an adrenaline junkie I really truly am. The last 11 miles of tight streets with no bike lane had my adrenal glands pumping – let me tell you! For those of you who have ridden with me before and know how I ride, let me tell you that the last 11 miles I went an average of 20 miles an hour and BOY was it FUN!!!!!

So, a lot of self discovery today and man I’m tired … and hungry! I love eating when I’m hungry! Yay food!!! Thank you God for food. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker