RhoYoshi

Friday, September 23, 2005

Acushla

What does this word mean? I have now seen it in two separate books, a sci-fi and an English Detective mystery. In both the word seems to be some sort of endearment, but what does it mean? Webster's has nothing to say on the matter, which I find annoying and I am quite put out. Of all the languages to pick, you would think that one such as English, which has quite a few educated speakers, would have these sorts of definitions down by now. Of all the annoying drivel!

3 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Blogger Kiti said...

I know of this word. I believe it is an Irish term of endearment. It is usually written "macushla", which is a contraction: "m'acushla", i.e. "my acushla".

Yes, I know everything, primarily because I listened to Judy Garland recordings as a teenager.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Adam said...

"cushla ma chree" means "darling of my heart" in Gaelic. So, yeah, Deb's right. Of course. :)

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

http://www.hiberno-english.com/body.php?id=16

fear not, google is here to the rescue!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker