RhoYoshi

Thursday, March 19, 2009

I'm the spider looking up at the magnifying glass

and the view seems awfully reversed. I should be the one looking down. Being an adult is so strange! And it strikes me that teachers must have a singularly odd psych profile - to have such utterly strong convictions (no matter what religion or creed) that despite what a room full of teenagers may say - what you (the teacher) are saying is so important that they oughta shut up and listen to you for 55 minutes straight strikes me as ... slightly insane, hmm, maybe zealous, and awfully over confident. And yet I teach. They say that teenagers think that they know everything? Gee, I wonder what role models they get that complex from?

This has been a crazy hyped-up week, what with WASC accreditation and all. Yesterday was our last day of accreditation and after school we had a meeting from which I went straight to tutoring, ran home, threw on a dress, and went and saw the stunning Alvin Ailey at the Dorothy Chandler because I was chaperoning a field trip for the dance class. Today after school I ran over to help out with our track meet - ah the bitter sweet memories! Is it totally sad that I wish that I still got to be on the track team? To not have to motivate myself to run but have a coach yell at me and design all my workouts? They are so lucky!

This whole week I haven't gotten more than 5 1/2 hours of sleep per night and I've been living on caffeine and sugar. I keep having trouble keeping my Spanish separate from my English and I caught myself mumbling to myself as I walked through Costco today. All I need is hair rollers, a worn out bathrobe, a few dozen cats, and I am set to be the crazy lady! I am actually going to go to bed soon and the Lord willing get 8 1/2 hours of sleep, but I will leave you with one last thing. Each year we coaches have to come up with something to write in the senior's memory books - one last word to leave with them. After the rough season I really didn't know what to say, so I put it off till the last minute and here is what I came up with for them:

A woman is known for her fear of the Lord
She's something real fiercesome and grand
A woman is power, community too
A woman is lending a hand
A woman - submission, humility, grace
Dark backdrop on which the stars shine
A woman is growing to help others grow
Be spice that makes all things sublime!

When I read that again this Summer, after I've recovered some sleep and sanity ... I really hope that it's not something that I'll be embarrassed of!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker